Subordinate work

The entry procedure

Work authorization and residence agreement
The employer must submit a personal application for work authorization (nulla osta) in order to allow non EU nationals resident abroad to enter Italy to carry out subordinate work. That application must be submitted to the Front Desk for Immigration (Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione) where the worker will perform the job, under the Quota Agreement (Decreto-Flussi) which sets the maximum number per year of non-EU foreigners who can be allowed to come and work in the Italian territory. The employer’s request aims to offer a job activity which wage is not lower than Italian employment standards and a residence agreement proving availability of suitable accommodation for the foreigner.

Entry visa
A visa, which comprises a special “stamp” or “sticker” affixed to the applicant’s passport or other valid travel document, is an authorization granted to foreign citizens so that they can enter the territory of the Italian Republic. Subordinate work visa is released by Italian embassy or consulates in the applicant’s country of origin within 180 days from the issuance date of work authorization by the front desk for immigration (Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione).

Residence permit application
Within eight days of entering Italy the worker must go to the front desk for immigration (Sportello Unico per l’Immigrazione) that issued the work authorization to sign the residence contract and submit the residence permit application; otherwise he/she is considered to be in the national territory illegally.